17.6 C
Sunday, May 26, 2024

Kigen Moi: Little Known Gideon Moi’s Son At The Helm Of Multi-billion Power Plant Sosian Energy

Kigen Moi is the company director of Sosian Energy  Gideon Moi's first born is an alumnus of Bristol University in England  Over the weekend,...

The Top Five Tailors In Kenya

HomenewsPolice Reservists Still Waiting For KSh 60 Million Bounty After Capture Of...

Police Reservists Still Waiting For KSh 60 Million Bounty After Capture Of Wanted Terrorists

Kenya Police Reservists (KPR) officers who captured the Kamiti Maximum Security Prison escapees in Kitui in 2021 are yet to be compensated.

The Ministry of Interior under ex-CS Fres Matiang’i’s leadership had announced a KSh 60 million bounty on the heads of the terror convicts for any information leading to their arrest.

The escapees were captured by KPR officers led by Komu Kilonzi in Kitui days after an intensified search ordered by retired President Uhuru Kenyatta.

A year later, Kilonzi, in an interview with Nation, noted that they are yet to be appreciated despite putting their lives on the line to capture the fugitives.

He also recalled his encounter with the escapees before they managed to apprehend them and inform the police.

“Musharaf (escapee) launched himself at me, his massive frame shooting through the air and hitting me in the ribs. We both fell to the ground as he fought to flee from being captured. Luckily, I got the better of him and pinned him to the ground,” Kilonzi said.

The police reservists were also hoping for the government to recognize them with the Head of State Commendation

In November 2021, Matiang’i failed to tell whether the government will pay the bounty it promised. 

Addressing the media at Kamiti prison where the three criminals were returned after their recapture, the former CS brushed off a question on the same.

“No…no…no, we are not going there at the moment. Let us not be speculative about this. We are going to work on this meticulously as my colleagues have said,” he said.

The escapees were identified as Mohamed Ali Abikar, Joseph Juma Odhiambo and Musharaf Abdalla.

Abikar is serving 41 years for his role in the Al Shabaab attack on Garissa University College in April 2015 that killed at least 148 people.

Odhiambo on the other hand is serving 15 years for travelling to Somalia, failing to report his departure to an immigration office and exiting Kenya through an illegal point.

Musharaf is serving 22 years for attempting to attack Parliament buildings in 2012 after he was found in possession of explosives, two firearms and 400 rounds of ammunition.