By Prudence Minayo
Abba Kyari is the current Inspector General of Police’s Intelligence Response Team (IGP-IRT) and deputy commissioner of police whose reputation was squeaky clean until recently. He gained fame for his exploits that resulted in the arrests of some of the most notorious kidnappers and murderers in Nigeria. With over 80 high profile arrests to his belt, he is perhaps the most decorated officer in the country. In 2018, he was declared Africa’s best detective.
DON'T MISS: Stay informed with the latest news and interact with us on Instagram.
He was born on 17th March 1975.
In 2000, he was admitted into police academy Wudil, Kano state and graduated as Cadet Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP). He was then posted to Adamawa State Police command for a compulsory one-year attachment.
Abba was then deployed as Divisional Crime Officer (DCO) in Numan, Adamawa State. He also served as unit commander 14PMF Yola.
The officer continued to rise through the ranks and was soon moved to Lagos State Police Command as 2IC and later as officer in charge of Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).
Currently, he is serving as the Deputy Police Commissioner (DDPC and the Inspector General of Police’s Intelligence Response Team (IGP-IRT). He is also a member of the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP).
JOIN US: Stay informed with the latest Kenyan news and join the conversation on Telegram.
The award winning police officer has been able to accomplish so much in the course of his career. Below are some of the notable arrests associated with him:
- Arrest of Nigeria’s most notorious kidnapping kingpin billionaire kidnapper Chukwudumeme.
- Arrest of the one of most wanted Boko-Haram Commander Umar Abdulmalik and eight of his terrorist’s gang members.
- Captured the most deadly kidnapper in the history of Nigeria, Henry Chibueze, nicknamed Vampire, alongside his gang members.
- Arrest of the killers of former chief of defense Staff (CDS) Air Marshal Alex Badeh.
- Arrest of the deadly Offa bank robbers that invaded Offa town, robbed five commercial banks and killed 31 innocent Nigerians, making it the deadliest bank robbery in the history of Nigeria.
- Arrest of deadly armed robbers and murderers who escaped from lawful custody at the SARS Lokoja, Kogi state.
- Arrest of deadly kidnappers who kidnapped two South Africans in Kaduna state.
- Arrest of a notorious criminal who threatened to kill the former vice president of Atiku Abubakar and his family.
- Arrest of the most notorious armed robbers in South-West, Abiodun Egunjobi, aka Godogodo, in Ibadan, Oyo State. He was responsible for the murders of over 500 Nigerian citizens and police officers.
- Arrest of Niger Delta militants who planned to bomb 3rd Mainland Bridge.
- Arrest of the kidnappers of former Minister of Finance Okonjo Iweala’s mother.
- Arrest of kidnappers of Ikorodu School Girls.
- Arrest of the most notorious kidnapping kingpin in Kogi State Haiti Bello, and twenty of his gang members. For years, the gang had been terrorizing Kogi State and its environs.
- Arrest of the terrorist responsible for the bombing of Kuje and Nyanya towns of Abuja and recovery of primed bombs in the FCT.
- Arrest of 22 Boko-Haram terrorist gang members responsible for the kidnap of Chibok School Girls in 2014, and also responsible for several suicide bombings.
The decorated officer has a number of awards to his name. They are:
- Africa’s Best Detective of the Year 2018
- The Best Police Officer of the Decade Award 2018 Hero of the Year Award by Silverbird Group.
- Presidential Medal of Courage from President Mohammadu Buhari on 1st April 2016
- Triple IGP Commendation Medal for Courage fir three consecutive years, 2012, 2013 and 2014
- Triple Lagos State Governor’s Award for Gallantry, Leadership and Service excellence 2011, 2012 and 2013
- Lagos State Commissioner of Police Commendation Award for Courage 2011 Best Anti-Crime police officer in West Africa from Security Watch Africa
- Star award from CRAN 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017
- Star Award for Outstanding Gallantry in Africa 2018 by Security Watch Africa
While many in Nigeria, and perhaps West Africa, are familiar with him, most across the world only came to learn about him through the notorious fraudster Hushpuppi-real name Ramon Olorunwa Abbas. In court documents released by the United States Department of Justice on Wednesday, Kyari was said to have been bribed to arrest Kelly Chibuzor Vincent, in Nigeria. He was accused of processing bogus documents and arranged for the creation of a fake bank website and phone banking line inorder to defraud Qataru school founder and launder over $1 Million in Illicit proceeds.
After a dispute with Hushpuppi and other syndicate members, Vincent is reported to have contacted the businessperson and informed him of the fraud, something that did not sit well with Hushpuppi who ordered the officer to arrest Vincent. After the arrest, he is said to have sent photos to Hushpuppi who then wired him the money. Earlier, Hushpuppi pleaded guilty to charges filed against him by the United States government for money laundering.
Abba Kyari has since denied these allegations.
“After this contact, Abbas allegedly arranged to have Vincent jailed in Nigeria by Abba Alhaji Kyari, 46, of Nigeria.
“According to the affidavit, Kyari is a highly decorated deputy commissioner of the Nigeria Police Force who is alleged to have arranged for Vincent to be arrested and jailed at Abbas’ behest, and then sent Abbas photographs of Vincent after his arrest. Kyari also allegedly sent Abbas bank account details for an account into which Abbas could deposit payment for Vincent’s arrest and imprisonment.” the court documents read in part.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY: Stay informed with the latest celebrity news on our WhatsApp community or by messaging the number +41774793952.