By Prudence Minayo
Blogging in Kenya is synonymous with Cyprian Nyakundi. He is fearless, straight shooting and probably the only blogger ready to expose the rot in the corporate world. The blogger has outed politicians and celebrities using unsavoury language and in the process earned himself a sizable number of ‘haters’. He has been sued more times than all bloggers combined. His detractors have accused the blogger of soliciting bribes through blackmail. The blogger runs the popular cnyakundi.com site among other platforms.
Here is Cyprian Nyakundi bio.
The controversial blogger was born in 1991, according trendinginkenya.
Nyakundi went to St Marys School Yala before joining Meru University of Science and Technology. The university expelled him for soiling the name of the institution on social media.
In an article published by Dennis Itumbi, it was revealed that he had been suspended from the University in 2012 for a year and was forcefully evicted from the institution.
According to News24, he told Itumbi that during the committee hearing he maintained to have posted the alleged social media updates.
The decision by the university to suspend him was met with a lot of hostility by Kenyans on Twitter. The issue was discussed under the hashtag #LetNyakundiTweet that trended for a number of days.
The blog cnyakundi.com was established in 2013 and has since become one of the most bold news outlets in the country.
Cyprian is known for publishing a number of daring blogs on his website and Twitter. He has exposed and locked horns with some of the most powerful people in the country.
The most well known published articles include:
- An expose of National bank
In 2016, he published an article that pointed out some irregularities going on in National Bank. According to a later blog, he revealed that three top officials were fired by the bank after this expose.
- He attacked Bidco
- He published an article exposing women who use sponsors so as to enjoy a slay queen lifestyle. He said some of them have up to 5 sponsors and went on to release a damning list of the women.
- The blogger has also criticized the management of Safaricom at some point.
- He also came under fire at one point for criticizing the well known Citizen TV journalist Lilian Muli. According to his words, the TV girl had been in the screens for about ten years and was past the drooling age.
- Cyprian had also made some comments about the late Safaricom CEO Bob Collymore. The remarks were accusing the latter of having interfered with someone else’s marriage by wedding Wambui.
- He made a number of comments attacking the Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i.
As Cyprian Nyakundi publishes highly opinionated blogs that mostly attack those in authority, it is no surprise that he is well versed with the corridors of justice. On a number of occasions, he has been sued and arrested due to the nature of his blogs. Some of these include:
- He has been sued for defamation by Prof. Kibutha Kibwana. Kivutha was not happy with a published article on Nyakundi’s blog that touched on his lifestyle.
- Fred Matiang’i also sued him in 2018 for publishing offensive information.
- Safaricom also sued him in 2015 for defaming the telecommunication company by posting baseless and unsubstantial information.
- After the Safaricom suit, he was also sued by Bidco and National Bank of Kenya.
- In 2018, Mike Sonko and Anne Waiguru moved to court to sue him for allegedly writing derogatory statements against them.
- He has also been accused of blackmail before.
On a number of occasions after being sued, he has been forced to bring down published blog posts. This is after the blogs have been deemed derogatory.