Asad Khan: Celebrated Rally Driver Is Dead

Asad Khan, alias Kalulu is a Kenyan rally driver who has participated a number of Safari Rally championships.

Despite being a notable rally driver, Khan led a quiet life until Wednesday, December 15 when he hit headlines after he was allegedly assaulted by his girlfriend, Maxine Wahome.

Here is what WoK has gathered about the incident.

Domestic abuse

According to multiple sources, Khan was found unconscious at an apartment that he shared with his girlfriend in Kilimani, Nairobi.

According to The Star, at the time he was found, the rally driver had a lump on his head and had deep cuts on his achilles tendon.

Khan’s brother, Adila Khan, is the one who attended to the top rally driver and rushed him to the hospital after being informed of the incident by the apartment’s management.

He was informed about the incident on Monday, December 12 at around 1 pm.

Adila filed a report at Kilimani Police Station shortly shortly before Wahome was arrested for supposedly causing grievous bodily harm on Khan.

“On further examination, one of the window pane glasses was broken as well as two door window pane glasses were also broken,” a court document showed.

Preliminary reports showed that the two lived together, it is however not known if they were married.

Khan is 50-years-old while Wahome is 26.

Critical condition

According to Citizen Digital, Khan was initially rushed to Nairobi Hospital where he was admitted at the High Dependency Unit before being transferred to Avenue Hospital.

The rally driver is currently fighting for his life at the High Dependency Unit at the Avenue Hospital.

“My brother has received almost 10 pints of blood at Avenue Hospital. He lost too much blood from the cuts,” Adila told Nation.

The family had appealed for blood donations.

“We wish to request all friends and wellwishers to kindly keep him in your prayers. The hospital team at Avenue hospital ICU require five pints of blood group A+ or O+ for his ongoing treatment,” Adila wrote on Facebook.

Death Rumours

Hours after news of Khan’s critical condition surfaced on social media, misleading reports indicated that he had succumbed to his injuries.

However, the family dismissed the reports noting that the tally driver is alive, although he is still in critical condition.

“We are currently in hospital. He is in critical condition and as we speak he is receiving dialysis

“We would like those who spreading the fake news about his death to stop and retract their posts even as we pray for his recovery,” Khan’s sister Safina Hussein Khan said.


The rally driver died on Sunday. His brother shared the sad news,

“Yes my brother Asad has finally left us. We had been at his bedside ever since he was admitted in the hospital with stab wounds. It is really sad,” he told a local daily.

Maxine Wahome released from custody

Wahome was on Wednesday, December 14 released on a cash bail of Ksh 100,000 pending investigations into the alleged assault charges.

State prosecutor James Gachoka had applied to have Wahome detained for 14 days until Khan’s condition improves.

However, Milimani Senior Principal Magistrate Bernard Ochoi freed Wahome arguing that the offence the police are pressing against her is bailable under the penal code.

She ordered to be reporting to the investigating officer at the Kilimani Police Station every Monday until the probe  is completed.