One of the most interesting and spectacular tournaments among national teams was the African Cup of Nations 2019. All its football scores, as well as matches of other championships are freely available on a verified statistical portal. You can view the statistics of games of the previous draws in a convenient format.
Already at the group stage the African Cup 2019 made many fans wonder who would become the champion. Many believed in Egypt and Algeria, the experts preferred Morocco. In general, the participants were very strong, but the following teams should be highlighted:
- Algeria. Only 2 missed goals in the tournament with 14 ones scored is an excellent result, worthy of a title. The Algerians had no problems playing against any strong opponent. In 2019, the national team reached the peak of its game form but continued to further amaze with its successful results.
- Senegal. This national team has never won the African Cup yet and this is very surprising. The Senegalese have always had a combat lineup capable of many achievements. But 2019 was not lucky for them, because Algeria was on their way, having beaten Senegal twice in the tournament with a score of 1:0.
- Nigeria. There were hopes that this national team would be able to go as far as possible, but it was content with only third place. In the semifinals, Nigeria dominated against Algeria, but missed some good chances and the 95th-minute goal by Riyad Marez ruined everything.
Also, Tunisia played decently, as it managed to leave the group gaining only 3 points. The team performed better in the playoffs, but still failed to win the bronze.
Losers of the 2019 African Cup
The best teams are always given more space in reviews and analytical articles. However, it is also worth remembering what national football teams showed disastrous scores. There were quite a few of them at the African Cup of Nations, but the following stand out:
- Tanzania — 8 missed and only 2 scored goals, as well as not a single point in 3 matches;
- Zimbabwe — in a fairly simple group, the team managed to get only one point with the ratio of goals scored and missed of 1:6;
- Burundi and Guinea-Bissau were the only teams to not score a single goal in 3 group matches.
South Africa, Tunisia and Guinea played poorly. Madagascar managed to surprise the football community, as it never lost and reached the playoffs. Moreover, Madagascar even made it to the quarterfinals, delighting its fans. Benin also played at a good level and unexpectedly defeated Morocco. It was a very interesting African Cup of 2019 with quite expected results but not without sensations and intrigue.