The name Ndegwa Njiru was not familiar with most Kenyans until recently. He has proved to be a lawyer par excellence and it is a joy watching him representing his high profile clients.
When he represented the Kirinyaga MCA’s in the case against governor Anne Waiguru Kenyans were mesmerized by his well thought out arguments.
Growing up he wanted to be a lawyer and he has ended up being a very good one at it. It is his belief that everyone needs to take up the mantle of righting the wrongs in the society and that lawyers are the building blocks in seeking social justice in economic and political growth.
Here is his story as told by WoK.
The brilliant lawyer hails from Gichugu constituency in Kirinyaga county. His father was a teacher who would take him to court hearings when he was still a young boy.
“As early as 1993, Mzee, a teacher by profession, used to take us to court and he was mentoring us without knowing it,” he told The Star.
Ndegwa has three brothers, two sisters and is a father of two children.
Ndegwa attended Kerugoya Municipality School and then proceeded to Kianyaga High School. Having performed well in high school, he proceeded to Kampala International University to pursue a Law degree. After leaving Kampala, he joined Kenya School of Law.
In 2011, he was admitted to the bar and as of now has been practicing law for only 9 years.
As a lawyer he is notable for doing the following:
- Representing the MCAs in the case against Kirinyaga governor Anne Waiguru. In the case, he cross-examined the defense witness in such a tactful manner that left them dumb founded and awed at the same time. He also organized his witnesses so that there was no loophole left in their testimonies.
- He represented Embu governor Martin Wambora in his impeachment. He was able to secure court orders for the reinstatement of Wambora as governor.
- Ndegwa is also representing Ferdinand Waititu-the impeached governor of Kiambu in his reinstatement case. He argued that the right impeachment procedures were not followed and procedures for swearing in of governor James Njoro were also not followed.
- Njiru is representing the county assembly in the impeachment case of Nairobi governor Mike Sonko.
- Alongside LSK council member George Omwanza, he petitioned that lawyers admitted to the bar should be allowed to set up their own law firms. In the past, lawyers were not allowed to set up their own law firms until they had undergone a two years apprenticeship.
Ndegwa Njiru also started Ndegwa and Ndegwa Advocates where he works alongside his younger brother and wife.
In 2013, he vied for the Gichugu constituency parliamentary seat alongside 9 other people under the National Rainbow Coalition (NARC) party ticket. He came in 4th place.
His role model growing up was lawyer Wairimu Rugaita and she inspired him to become a lawyer.