17.6 C
Tuesday, December 5, 2023

The Top Five Tailors In Kenya

There are many talented tailors in Kenya although a small section of them have made a name for themselves in the local fashion industry. These...
HomeWealthQueens Of Real Estate, Construction Industry In Kenya

Queens Of Real Estate, Construction Industry In Kenya

Over the past few years, the real estate and construction industry in Kenya has seen a significant shift in gender dynamics.

This has seen more and more women taking on leadership roles and making their mark in a traditionally male-dominated industry.

In this article, WoK looks at women dominating Kenya’s real estate and the vast construction industry.

Mugure Njendu

Mugure Njendu is the founder of Little Einsteins East Africa, an organization teaching young learners about the world of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).

She is also an architect and an urban planner.

Njendu also serves as the president of the Architect Association of Kenya (AAK) and the Director of Gitutho Architects and Planners.

She holds a Bachelor of Architecture degree, and a Master’s of Architecture degree in Urban Planning from the University of Miami, US.

Schola Musili

Schola Musili is the founder of Flair Paints.

Musili studied Construction Management and she was fortunate to land a job even before graduating from school.

She attended Kenyatta University where she graduated with a degree in Construction Management in 2015.

Musili was initially employed but she resigned from her job and went into self-employment as a contractor and eventually founding Flair Paints.

Patricia Muthoni

Patricia Muthoni is the owner of Patini Gladsmart.

She developed an interest in the business in 1994 when she was in charge of her husband’s glassware where he also sold water pumps and paints.

In 2008, her husband passed away and she took the responsibility of running the shop and she has never looked back since then.

Tatu Gatere

Tatu Gatere is the co-founder of Buildher, offering training programs to women interested in building and construction.

Gatere founded the company alongside her business partner, James Mitchel.

The training takes four months, with 70 per cent of the classwork being technical, and the other 30 per cent is theory and holistic employability training.

Hamida Hassanali

Hamida Hassanali is the founder of Hass Consult.

The company was founded in 1993 with a vision of changing the way real estate agents conducted their business in Nairobi. 

Although HassConsult is based in Nairobi, its presence extends to the Kenyan Coastline to include properties in Mombasa, Malindi and Lamu.

Hassanali was a school teacher and fashion designer before getting into the real estate business. 

Slyvia Kasanga

Former Nominated Senator Slyvia Kasanga ia the founder of Sycum Solutions Limited.

Established in 2004, the company provides holistic, practical and creative approach to architectural challenges.

The former MP has been an architect for over sixteen years, and she was the only female member in the Parliamentary Committee on Lands, Environment and Natural Resources.

Clara Mwanje

Clara Mwanje is the founder of Interior Perspective Studio.

Founded in 2016, the firm offers design projects including cultural, residential, retail and creative work spaces.

Mwanje is an expert in Turnkey Interior projects which involves designing interior spaces guided by the client’s brand identity and tastes.