For most Kenyan students, they get a chance to wear trousers only after completing their primary school education and enrolling to high school.
At the same time, there are some high schools that allow students to wear trousers only after joining Form 2.
It is believed that shorts and long trousers are worn to help teachers separate junior from senior students.
In this article, WoK highlights high schools that require students to wear shorts.
Starehe Boys’ Center
Starehe Boys’ Center and School is a boys-only school in Nairobi founded in 1959 by Dr William Griffin, Geoffrey Gatama Geturo and Joseph Kamiru Gikubu.
The school runs a Centre, Secondary School and a tertiary Institute offering Accountancy and Computer studies.
Starehe harbors about 1,000 students from all the 47 counties, some of them come from backgrounds of strife while others are middle class and high class.
The national school started as a rescue center where orphaned boys could find solace in its humble beginnings.
Mang’u High School
Established in 9125, Mang’u High School is among Kenya’s best performing schools, located in Kiambu County, along the Nairobi-Thika Highway.
Mang’u is among the few high schools that offer aviation courses as part of their curriculum, they do training of the students at the Wilson Airport and Moi Air Base in Eastleigh, Nairobi County.
The school opened its doors for the first term, on 11 January 1940 with 49 pupils. In 1939, the school was moved to a new site at Mangu Village on a 22-acre piece of land and because of accessibility it became known as Mangu High School.
Alliance High School
Alliance High School was established in March 1926 by the Church of Scotland Mission, now known as the Presbyterian Church of East Africa (PCEA).
The school is located some 22 kilometers from Nairobi CBD, and a 10-minute walk from its sister school, Alliance Girls’ High School.
The current school principal is David Chomba.
Sunshine Secondary School
Sunshine Secondary School is a private-owned boarding school situated in Mugumoini, Nairobi County.
The school was established in 1995 by former President Daniel Arap Moi who was also the school’s patron until his death.
The departed former President wanted to establish a Christian Boys boarding school in Nairobi, which would be a Centre of excellence.